19 January 2008

Would You Believe Snow?

Would you believe I am looking at snow falling to the ground! This is a rarity here in the Deep South. I also see children across the streets playing in the snow. This is indeed a beautiful sight! I have fond memories of my childhood when we would receive snow in my hometown of Summerville, Georgia. We were out of school for a week because of the snow. Now that was fun, especially for children. I believe that most children (and adults) would like to see snow at least once in their lifetime.

In Psalms 148:8 we learn that snow is the handiwork of Jehovah God, “Fire and hail, snow and vapor; stormy wind, fulfilling his word…” The word snow is mentioned 20 times in the Bible. It is found 5 times in the book of Job. Here are some important lessons that I have developed from the Word of God relative to the subject of snow.

SNOW
I. THE POWER OF GOD IS MANIFESTED IN THE FIELD OF PHYSICAL SCIENCE.
a. God asked 40 questions in Job 38 that are still marvelous today.
i. Job 38:22 – “Have you entered the treasury of snow, Or have you seen the treasury of hail…”
ii. This suggests the availability of snow and also the importance of the quality of snow. Snow collects nitrates, free ammonia, etc.
b. The source of the snow is God.
i. Job 37:6 – “For He says to the snow, ‘Fall on the earth’; likewise to the gentle rain and the heavy rain of His strength.”
c. Snow could be found in Palestine, in the mountain ranges of Lebanon and Mount Hermon.
d. Snow can also be found in the city of Jerusalem.
i. Proverbs 31:21 – “She is not afraid of snow for her household, for all her household is clothed with scarlet.”
ii. Proverbs 25:13 – “Like the cold of snow in time of harvest is a faithful messenger to those who send him; for he refreshes the souls of his masters.”

II. SNOW IS CONNECTED WITH THE THOUGHT OF PUNISHMENT.
a. Miriam, Numbers 12:9, 10 – “So the anger of the Lord was aroused against them, and He departed. And when the cloud departed from above the tabernacle, suddenly Miriam became leprous, as white as snow. Then Aaron turned toward Miriam, and there she was, a leper.”
b. The end of the wicked.
i. Job 24:19 – “As drought and heat consume the snow waters, so the grave consumes those who have sinned.”

III. SNOW CONNECTED WITH DEITY AND ANGELS
a. On the mount of transfiguration.
i. Mark 9:3 – “His clothes became shining, exceedingly white, like snow, such as no launderer on earth can whiten them.”
ii. Revelation 1:14 – “His head and hair were white like wool, as white as snow, and His eyes like a flame of fire…”
b. Angels
i. Matthew 28:3 – “His countenance was like lightning and his clothing as white as snow.”

IV. SNOW CONNECTED WITH THE GUILT OF MAN’S SIN AND HIS INABILITY TO RID HIMSELF OF THE STAIN OF SIN
a. Job 9:30 – “If I wash myself with snow water, and cleanse my hands with soap, yet You will plunge me into the pit, and my own clothes will abhor me.”

V. SNOW CONNECTED WITH THE FORGIVENESS OF SINS
a. Isaiah 1:18 – “Come now, and let us reason together,” says the Lord, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red like crimson, they shall be as wool.”
b. Psalms 51:2, 7 – “Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin.” “Purge me with hyssop, and I shall be clean; wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.”
c. Zechariah 13:1 – “In that day a fountain shall be opened for the house of David and for the inhabitants of Jerusalem, for sin and uncleanness.”
d. Matthew 26:28; John 1:29; Ephesians 1:7; I John 1:7.
e. Song: “There is a Fountain Filled with Blood”
f. The blood of Christ cleanses us for all eternity.
i. Revelation 7:13, 14 – “Then one of the elders answered saying to me, “Who are these arrayed in white robes, and where did they come from?” And I said to him, “Sir, you know.” So he said to me, “These are the ones who come out of the great tribulation, and washed their robes and made them white in the blood of the Lamb.”
g. Song: Whiter Than Snow

Lord Jesus, I long to be perfectly whole;
I want Thee forever to live in my soul;
Break down ev’ry idol, cast out ev’ry foe:
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Lord Jesus, look down from Thy throne in the skies,
And help me to make a complete sacrifice;
I give up myself and whatever I know:
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Lord Jesus, Thou see-est I patiently wait;
Come now, and within me a new heart create;
To those who have sought Thee, Thou never saidst No:
Now wash me, and I shall be whiter than snow.
Whiter than snow, Yes, Whiter than snow;
Now wash me and I shall be whiter than snow.

No comments: